Our weekly roundup of archives-related news from around the globe
- “Spain refuses to declassify state files from 1931 to 1968: Government says it lacks the resources to analyze the thousands of documents one by one,” EL PAĺS (24 June 2015).
- “Living the dream? Human Trafficking, the other organized crime problem in sports”, THE GLOBAL INITIATIVE AGAINST TRANSNATIONAL ORGANIZED CRIME (24 June 2015).
- Arzak Khan, “Internet.org risks the Web’s future in Pakistan: Zuckerberg-Telenor effort to bring Internet to the developing world is counterproductive,” AL JAZEERA AMERICA (22 June 2015).
- Michael Scaturro, “Berlin’s rebuilt Prussian palace to address long-ignored colonial atrocities,” THE GUARDIAN (18 May 2015).
Recent Publications and Resources of Interest
- Al-Saleh, Asaad, VOICES OF THE ARAB SPRING: PERSONAL STORIES FROM THE ARAB REVOLUTIONS with a foreword by Peter Slugett (Columbia University Press: March 2015). Book Review: NEW STATESMAN (28 May 2015).
- Columbia University Launches Online Global Database of Case Law on Freedom of Expression (19 June 2015).
- Ganor, Boaz, GLOBAL ALERT: THE RATIONALITY OF MODERN ISLAMIST TERRORISM AND THE CHALLENGE TO THE LIBERAL DEMOCRATIC WORLD (Columbia University Press: May 2015). Book Review: THE WASHINTON BOOK REVIEW (25 June 2015).
- Gilbert, Mads, M.D., NIGHT IN GAZA (Skyscraper Publications: 23 July 2015). Book Review: MIDDLE EAST EYE (22 June 2015).
- Kaufman, Emma, PUNISH AND EXPEL BORDER CONTROL, NATIONALISM, AND THE NEW PURPOSE OF THE PRISON (Clarendon Studies in Criminology: 4 June 2015).
- NATO CCD COE’s Interactive Database: International Cyber Developments Review (INCYDER) (24 June 2015).
- Online-Handbuch: “Aktiv gegen Diskriminierung” [Online Handbook: “Active Against Discrimination”] (Das Deutsche Institut für Menschenrechte) [The German Institute for Human Rights] (22 June 2015).
- “Reporting on the International Criminal Court (ICC): A Practical Guide for the Media” (22 June 2015).
- Sifton, John, VIOLENCE ALL AROUND (Harvard University Press: 11 May 2015). Book Review: HUFFINGTON POST (18 June 2015).
Upcoming Conferences, Events, and Workshops
- ICA-Section on Archival Education and Training (SAE) Annual Conference, University of Maryland, College Park (12 July 2015)
- The conference program is available at: http://www.ica-sae.org/
- Deadline: 26 June 2015
- NEW TACTICS IN HUMAN RIGHTS—Online Discussion: “The Use of Photography in Advancing Human Rights” (Wed., 24 June 2015-Fri., 26 June 2015).
- Apply to the Ebook Collection Curation Corps, DIGITAL PUBLIC LIBRARY OF AMERICA (DPLA) (23 June 2015).
- “Democratic Access or Privileged Exclusion?,” A Workshop on the Preservation of and Access to Refugee Archives at the University of East London (13 July 2015 from 2:00 PM to 6:00 PM).