SAA Annual Meeting 2015, Cleveland, OH
- SAA Joint Meeting between the International Archival Affairs (IAA) Roundtable and Latin American and Caribbean Cultural Heritage Archives (LACCHA) Roundtable (19 August 2015 from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM).
Our weekly roundup of archives-related news from around the globe
- “Declassified Documents Could Provide Evidence in long-awaited Prosecution for Murder of Washington D.C. Resident Rodrigo Rojas, Burning of Carmen Quintana.” National Security Archive Electronic Briefing Book No. 523, July 31, 2015.
- “Discrimination against women: UN Committee publishes findings on Senegal, Spain, The Gambia, Viet Nam, Bolivia, Croatia, Namibia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines,” UN HIGHCOMMISSIONER FOR HUMAN RIGHTS (27 July 2015).
- “Acervo de investigações da Comissão da Verdade será aberto ao public,” DCI: DIÁRIO COMÉRCIO INDÚSTRIA & SERVIÇOS (São Paulo Brasil) (24 July 2015). Translation: “Collection of the Truth Commission’s Investigations will be Open to the Public,” DAILY TRADE INDUSTRY AND SERVICES (24 July 2015).
- Alexander Howard, “New Federal Watchdog Has Dubious Track Record: James Holzer’s public record on FOIA is cause for concern,” HUFFINGTON POST (24 July 2015).
- Erin Blakemore, “The International Olympic Committee Just Rescued Its Priceless Video Archive,” SMITHSONIAN.COM (23 July 2015).
- New Site: “PEN Eritrea: Giving a Voice to the Plight of Jailed Journalists and Writers in the Country,” PEN INTERNATIONAL (23 July 2015).
- Huang, Yanzhong, “The Rising Anti-Intellectualism in China: Part II,” COUNCIL ON FOREIGN RELATIONS (CFR) (21 July 2015). See also: “The Rising Anti-Intellectualism In China: Part I,” FORBES (29 June 2015).
Recent Publications and Resources of Interest
- Guo, Xiaolu, I AM CHINA: A NOVEL (Anchor Paperback: 4 August 2015). Review: Cooper, Charlie, “A beguiling tale of love and exile offers an indictment of China’s past, and present,” THE INDEPENDENT (29 May 2014).
- “Humanitarian Bulletin Central African Republic,” UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) Issue 1 (July 2015).
- Straus, Scott, MAKING AND UNMAKING NATIONS: WAR, LEADERSHIP AND GENOCIDE IN MODERN AFRICA (Cornell University Press: 2015).
- Ts’utisopeli [minute village]: A Project Dedicated to the Conservation and Dissemination of Songs from Villages in Eastern Georgia.
- Velasco, Alejandro, BARRIO RISING: URBAN POPULAR POLITICS AND THE MAKING OF MODERN VENEZUELA (University of California Press: 24 July 2015).
- Yang, Xifan, ALS DIE KARPFEN FLIEGEN LERNTEN: CHINA AM BEISPIEL MEINER FAMILIE [WHEN THE CARP LEARN TO FLY: CHINA USING THE EXAMPLE OF MY FAMILY] (Hanser Berlin: 23 February 2015). Review: Stephan, Felix, “China: Selbstzufriedene Unmüdigkeit,” ZEIT (23 Juli 2015). [English Translation]
- Weiss, Michael and Hassan Hassan, ISIS: INSIDE THE ARMY OF TERROR (Regan Arts Paperback: 17 February 2015). Review: Anonymous, “The Mystery of ISIS,” THE NEW YORK REVIEW OF BOOKS (13 August 2015).
- Russian Historical Statistics Online (online database developed by the IISH, the New Economic School in Moscow, and the Interdisciplinary Centre for Studies in History, Economy and Society in Moscow. Link to org (in English and Russian).
Upcoming Conferences, Events, and Workshops
- Summer School Program: “Memory Culture and Politics of Memory in Post Conflict Societies of the Global South (5-12 September 2015, University of Cologne, Germany). [Deadline: 31 July 2015 at 6:00 PM [Central European Time] (CET)].
- CFP: “Keeping History Above Water Conference,” Newport, RI (10-13 April 2016) [Deadline: 15 September 2015].
- ICA Annual Conference, Reykjavik, 28-29 September 2015.
- The full preliminary programme details are available from this link: http://www.ica2015.is/en/programme. Follow this link to register: http://www.ica2015.is/en/registration
- SPP Conference “Web Archiving – Social Media – Communication Strategies”, Berlin, Germany (28-30 October 2015).
- CFP: “Video Games, Culture & Justice,” @CRITICALGAMELAB. [Deadline for Abstracts: 15 September 2015] and [Full Essays Due: 28 December 2015].
- Call for EHRI (European Holocaust Research Infrastructure) fellowship programme 2016-2018 (information professionals are also invited to apply).