International Archives and Archivists Weekly News Roundup – July 24, 2015
- Special feature of the week to mark the formal re-establishment of diplomatic relations between the U.S. and Cuba and the re-opening of the embassies in Washington, D.C. and Havana: ARCHIVO NACIONAL DE LA REPÚBLICA DE CUBA
- Here is a link to a slightly older review of the archives by a researcher, Prof. Giovannetti, published on the U.K. based Archives Made Easy site (it’s like the AHA Archives wiki).
- Carvajal, Doreen, “Employee Held in Paris National Library Theft,” THE NEW YORK TIMES (23 July 2015): C4.
- “Human Rights Council Adopts Landmark Resolution Regulating Private Education Providers,” INTERNATIONAL JUSTICE RESOURCE CENTER (22 July 2015).
Recent Publications and Resources of Interest
- Laqueur, Walter, PUTINISM: RUSSIA AND ITS FUTURE WITH THE WEST (Thomas Dunne Books: 30 June 2015). Review: Baker, Peter, “Walter Laqueur’s ‘Putinism’ Dissects a Canny Russian Leader,” THE NEW YORK TIMES (21 July 2015): C21.
- Pennington, Lee K., CASUALTIES OF HISTORY: WOUNDED JAPANESE SERVICEMEN AND THE SECOND WORLD WAR (Cornell University Press: 12 March 2015). Interview: WEATHERHEAD EAST ASIAN INSTITUTE, COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY (22 July 2015).
- Takenaka, Akiko, YASUKUNI SHRINE: HISTORY, MEMORY, AND JAPAN’S UNENDING POSTWAR (University of Hawai’i: July 2015). Interview: WEATHERHEAD EAST ASIAN INSTITUTE, COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY (20 July 2015).
- The latest issue of Comma (2014:1/2) ‘Local, Municipal and Territorial Archives: Commonalities and Differences’ is now available on the ICA website in the member-only space by following this link: http://www.ica.org/10726/comma/about-ica-journals.html
Upcoming Conferences, Events, and Workshops
- CFP: “2016 Northeastern Workshop on Southern Africa,” Bishop Booth Conference Center, Burlington, VT, 15-17 April 2016. Deadline: August 30, 2015.
- Happening next week: The 7th International Conference on the History of Records and Archives, ICHORA, July 29-31st in Amsterdam, Netherlands.