Our weekly roundup of archives-related news from around the globe
- ‘Afghan Genizah’ manuscripts were unearthed after the downfall of the Taliban and shed light on the life of the Jewish community of Afghanistan a thousand years ago. Haaretz, September 15, 2016, http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.742109
Publications and Resources of Interest
- The Spring 2016 volume of the Arab Studies Journal includes two articles on archives and documentation:
- The Moroccan Equity and Reconciliation Commission: The Promises of a Human Rights Archive, by Susan Slyomovics
- The Paper Trail of a Liberation Movement, by Hana Sleiman
- The September edition of the PERICLES FP7 newsletter is out now: http://eepurl.com/ccK3uf
In this issue you can learn more about the latest project updates including the upcoming international meeting and conference, organised by the PERICLES Consortium in association with the DPC (London, 30 Nov – 1 Dec 2016). You can also find out about the PERICLES Modular Training Package and the EcoBuilder tool which enables scenario experts, who are not necessarily familiar with ontologies, to create complex models of their use cases. Blog posts, papers and events of interest to the digital preservation community are also listed in this fully-packed issue!
PERICLES FP7 is a four-year Project (2013-2017) funded by the European Union, which aims to address the challenge of ensuring that digital content remains accessible in an environment that is subject to continual change. For more information please visit our website, http://pericles-project.eu or follow us on twitter on @PericlesFP7
Conferences and CFPs
- Die Staatlichen Archive Bayerns in der Zeit des Nationalsozialismus, 26.-28. Oktober 2016 . Wissenschaftliches Kolloquium der Generaldirektion der Staatlichen Archive Bayerns, http://www.gda.bayern.de/home/
- Annual Conference of the Institute of Austrian Historical Research: The Future of the Past in the Present. Archives as Lighthouses in the Information Age (November 9-11, 2016, Vienna). http://bioeg.hypotheses.org/category/veranstaltungen/jahrestagung-2016
- TECHNICAL AND FIELD RELATED PROBLEMS OF TRADITIONAL AND ELECTRONIC ARCHIVING, Radenci/Slovenia, April 5-7, 2017
The international conference Technical and Field Related Problems of Traditional and Electronic Archiving hosts professionals from the fields of archival science, records management and those active and working in these fields who wish to be up to date. The conference brings novelties in the field of theoretical and practical bases of archival science and records management, professional procedures, research, standards, guidelines, best practices, projects and programmes.
The conference has a long tradition, it has been organized for more than 35 years in a row, always bringing novelties and reports from the mentioned fields of work. It is organized every year in Hotel Radin, Radenci, Slovenia. In 2017, it will be held from April 5 to April 7, 2017.
More information at: