Happy International Archives Day!
International Archives Day is celebrated around the world to honor the day when the International Council on Archives was created on 9 June 1948. ICA established the event in 2007 to raise awareness of archives and archival profession, and to highlight the importance of international archival collaboration and exchange. An excellent background article on the history of ICA, and the role of the National Archives and the SAA in establishing the organization, can be found on the National Archives blog, Pieces of History. The article also includes a link to Solon Buck’s 1946 SAA address, “The Archivist’s One World,” which is certainly worth reading on any day.
This year, International Archives Day is celebrated on the theme of the 2017 joint ALA-ICA conference, “Archives, Citizenship and Interculturalism.”
To follow events around the world, use the hashtag: #IAD17
If you haven’t seen it already, take a look at the powerful interactive map documenting events celebrating International Archives Day around the world:
* Colombia’s National Archives celebrates the Day of International Archives on June 9, 2017 with three talks: Social Memory and Archives by Diego Andrés Ferreyra from Argentina, Catastrophes and the Nationalization of Collective Memory: Columbian-Venezuelan Documents as an Example, Heroes Family Papers: From Personal Papers to Historical Archives: El AGN de Colombia conmemora el Día Internacional de los Archivos
* Mexico City’s Manual on what archives are and what they do: El ABC de los Archivos
* The Archivo General de Simancas (Spain) will host tours to its archives all day long on June 9, 2017, the Day of International Archives: Visitas guiadas del Archivo General de Simancas
* Iberoamerican Archives participate in the interactive map to commemorate #IAD17 pic.twitter.com/8sXYTMi6uZ
* Costa Rica opens registration to its National Archives Conference which will take place from July 19-21, 2017: Sinergia ALA – Ya está abierta la inscripción para el Congreso Archivístico Nacional en Costa Rica
Selected additional events in the United States and around the world, not all of which are listed on the interactive IAD map:
* San Jose State University, US (webcast)
Lessons learned while gathering data for the International Directory of National Archives. see: http://ischool.sjsu.edu/about/webcasts/upcoming
When: June 9, 2017
Time: 3 p.m. pacific
Abstract: iSchool students share experiences as researchers for the International Directory of National Archives, edited by Dr. Pat Franks and Dr. Anthony Bernier. IDNA will serve archivists, historians, and researchers with information about 198 national archives. Slated for publication in 2018, IDNA has allowed iSchool students and alumni to conduct research on how nations manage and preserve their documentary heritage and to contribute to a work that will share their findings with a wide audience.
Presenters: Alyse Dunavant-Jones, Heather Kohles, and Kathryn Eminhizer
More info at: https://ischool.sjsu.edu/about/webcasts/upcoming
University of Waterloo, Canada
Celebrating this year’s IAD theme “Archives, Citizenship and Interculturalism”, the University of Waterloo Library’s Special Collections & Archives department would like to invite members from the UW Community to meet with us and learn more about our varied collections that showcase the intercultural history of Waterloo, and the world.
International Archives Day at the Chickasaw Cultural Center!
In honor of International Archives Day the Chickasaw Cultural Center will be hosting a special day filled with activities for those interesting in learning more about archiving documents on Friday, June 9th. Visitors can explore the Holisso: The center for Study of Chickasaw History and Culture. Throughout the day, tours, photo and document preservation workshops and special archival collection presentations will be given for visitors to enjoy. Come out to Sulphur for this very special event!
On Friday June 9th, BAnQ will celebrate International Archives Day under the theme of Archives, Citizenship and Interculturalism. On this occasion, you are all invited to attend the many activities offered by BAnQ such as conferences and guided tours.
Bulgarian Archives State Agency
On the 9th of June – International Archives Day – the Bulgarian Archives State Agency will be announcing several initiatives:
- The 2016 nominations for reader, donor and friend of the archives (11 am);
- Presentation of a new ASA digital project www.archives.bg/jewscollection – providing access to 1082 early printed Jewish books, printed in Constantinople (Istanbul), Salonika (Thessaloniki) and Smyrna (Izmir). The books are part of Central State Archives fonds 1568K Jewish documents and early printed books. These are very rare examples of early Jewish printing and provide valuable information about the history of the Jewish community – the everyday life, culture and economy of the Jewish people in Bulgaria and the Balkans for a period of five centuries (11 am);
- The joint exhibition Allied. Bavaria and Bulgaria during the First World War, organized by the ASA and the Bavarian State Archives. During the exhibition, for the first time will be presented the film Makenzen’s victory campaign through Dobrudzha, presenting the events from a century ago in an intriguing and gripping way (5 pm).
* Archives à Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Événements pour la Journée Internationale des Archives à Ouagadougou.
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
THEME : « Archives, Citoyenneté et Inter culturalisme »
THEME LOCAL : Jeune Archiviste, quel avenir professionnel dans un domaine aussi nouveau au Burkina
LIEU : Archives Nationales (Salle de Conférence)
JOURS : Vendredi 09 et Samedi 10 Juin 2017 (8h00 – 11h)
CIBLE : La communauté archiviste nationale
– Les membres et sympathisants de l’UNAr-BF
– Les « nouveaux archivistes » (Archives ayant pris service il y’a moins d’un an)
– Les élèves et étudiants archivistes (ENAM – UK –)
* Perm, Russia
International scientific-practical conference “Archives without borders”
Studencheskaya ul., 36, Perm, Permskiy kray, Russia, 614070
International Archival conference «Archives without borders» is intended to provide professional international communication on the most important and perspective issues of archival work in Russia, the CIS, Europe and North America. The main objective of the conference is to exchange experience of archival case with colleagues from near and far abroad.
More about the Conference :http://www.archive.perm.ru/worldarchiveconf/index_en
The United Nations Archives Celebrate International Archives Day
Please see the United Nations Archives and Records Management Section’s Facebook page and website where they have marked the occasion with some archives from our collections: